What we aim to teach
- Respect – for oneself, for others, for the environment and all walks of life
- A lifelong love of learning – curiosity and wonder, an enquiring mind, problem-solving, patience and tenacity
- Independence – self-possession, responsibility and adaptability to the ever-changing world.
How we teach
- Experience – sensations, ideas and facts, stories, pictures, making things work. Seeing, hearing, touching, smelling and tasting prepare the ground for understanding.
- Environment – a quiet, organised, child-sized workplace where there is space to explore, time to discover, and tools for learning
- People – everyone has something to teach, and something to learn. Teachers observe and guide, older kids learn from the younger, and the younger from the older.
The school has a range of learning materials – puzzles, maps, models, tools – designed by Montessori teachers, which children find fascinating. As they work and play, they gain skills and knowledge. The classroom is divided into broad subject areas ranging from practical life – cooking, cleaning, making a mess and tidying up – through to arithmetic, geography and language. With an enquiring mind, a project or theme can lead almost anywhere!
Parent-Child under 2s
A small group of children accompanied by parents or carers. Children are invited from 12-16 months (whenever the child is walking steadily). The class meets once a week from 12.3-2.30pm, classes determined by demand.
Toddler Community (2-3)
A class for children aged 2-3 years, from 8.30am to 12 noon, five days a week during school terms. By the time they are three the child is ready to join the pre-primary class.
For children aged 3-6 years of age, from 8.30 am to 12 noon, five days a week during school terms. In this class children of mixed ages and abilities work side by side in the same environment. Children who are in their kindergarten year, continue on until 2.30pm each day. This is normally referred to as ‘extended day’.
The decision to place a child into extended day is dependent on age, general development, independence and agreement between the Director and parents. Children in the extended day program also go on field trips to places of interest.
Each child is expected to complete the full three year cycle.
Casual Afternoon Care
The school provides afternoon care, from 12 noon to 2.30pm, for 3 and 4 year old children in the pre-primary class, and for 2-3 year olds in the toddler community. This afternoon care is billed separately.